Inspiration Over Information on Social Media

Inspiration Over Information on Social Media

August 22, 2016 by

“And then he told them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.'”

-Mark 16:15 NIV

Quality content is God’s “Good News,” bringing hope and inspiration to your readers

The Bible challenges us to “go into the world and preach the good news to everyone,” not simply to share information about our church and its activities.

With over a billion users worldwide, social media allows us to “go into the world” in powerful and far-reaching ways. Quality content is God’s “good news,” bringing hope and inspiration to your readers at home and around the world.

The 80-20 Rule

Inspiration, like entertainment, drives connection.

In a recent article, we discussed the importance of sharing inspiration on our church social media platforms, not just news and information. The post references Mark MacDonald suggesting that 80% of a church’s Facebook content should be “quality content” while the other 20% be information and news.

Like television shows that offer 80% entertainment and only 20% commercials or ads, churches should do the same. Inspiration, like entertainment, drives connection.

What does it look like to share the good news on your church’s social media platforms? How does a church provide inspirational content?

Inspiration Ideas

Below are some suggestions for good content, as mentioned in our earlier post:

  • Daily Bible verse
  • Inspirational quotes
  • Volunteer Focus/Photo
  • Volunteer/member feature
  • Throwback Thursday Photo
  • Photo albums of church events
  • Church-related hashtags

Here are some examples of not-so good content:

  • Too many announcements for the same event
  • Flooding your timeline with “Come Hear our Sermon” announcements
  • Content relating to a small number of members
  • Repetitive news/information
  • Outdated information
  • Political commentary

Examples of Churches Doing it Right

If done effectively, social media will strengthen member community, increase engagement and your ministry’s outreach.

In recent years, many churches have started using social media to reach their current and potential members. This is a positive shift, and if done effectively, will strengthen member community, increase engagement and your ministry’s outreach.

Here are a few examples of churches effectively using Social Media by consistently offering inspiration to their followers:

Christ Fellowship Church, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

Their church Instagram account shows a mixture of church events, members engaged in ministry work and church community, inspirational images and quotes. New images are posted regularly and content is relevant to current events.

We are bringing up the next generation of worshippers and worship leaders. #CFimpact #WeAreWorshipLeaders

A photo posted by Christ Fellowship (@cfimpact) on

Central Online, Henderson, Nev.

The church’s Facebook page is filled with content ranging from positive images, invitations, inspiring posts about God’s presence and encouraging reminders of that God loves us.

The page is updated regularly, sometimes multiple times a day. Page administrators respond to comments and posts are positive and encouraging.

Celebration Church, Jacksonville, Fla.

The church’s Twitter account is filled with encouraging, inspiring, up-to-date tweets including scripture, positive thoughts and short sermon videos.  The site is active and fast-paced, reflective of Twitter’s culture.

Saddleback Church, Lake Forest, Calif.

The church’s Facebook page includes scriptures, invitations, positive reflections, and inspiring images. The page is updated regularly with posts, commentary and conversation, providing a positive sense of connection and community.

Because each church has it’s own unique DNA, it’s important that each church develop a unique social media strategy that reflects its mission and ministry; however, in developing the strategy, it’s important all churches to remember information is good, but inspiration is better.

Christ Has No Online Presence but Yours

When building content for your social media platforms, remind yourself of this truth:

“Christ has no online presence but yours,

No blog, no Facebook page but yours,

Yours are the tweets through which love touches this world,

Yours are the posts through which the Gospel is shared,

Yours are the updates through which hope is revealed.

Christ has no online presence but yours,

No blog, no Facebook page but yours.”

Meredith Gould

Post By:

Katy Dunigan


Katy is the marketing and social media director for OnlineChurchDirectory.com and serves on Indiana’s SW District UMC Leadership Team. She is also active in the digital #chsocm community and is a Center for Church Communication Street Team member.
Read more posts by | Want to write for us?

2 Responses to “Inspiration Over Information on Social Media”


Leave a Reply