Welcome to the first full episode and official launch of the Church Marketing Podcast.
It’s completely normal for church communicators to feel alone in their role. It is a role fairly new to any church under 5,000 people. While many folks on a church staff have experience as a youth pastor, associate pastor, children’s director, executive administrator or any other given position… very few have ever been a church communication director.
Our conversation guest today is Justin Wise and he represents just one of the many voices in the growing church communication community. Our conversation centers around the need for an organization to have a big idea or their “why” defined before moving onto the “how.”
I also discuss what to do if your organization lacks a big idea or if the stated big idea does not have an affect on what the church does.
- Newsletter Rewrite Investment
- Purchase The Social Church by Justin Wise
- Pre-Marriage – Blog Story, Facebook Post
- Justin Wise – Blog, Twitter
- Dave Shrein – Blog, Twitter
- What to do if my organization doesn’t have a big idea – PDF Download
- 15 Social Media Mistakes to Avoid
- Jeff Bullas – Blog, Twitter
- Check out our review of Justin’s The Social Church and our previous interview with Justin Wise.
What’s in This Episode?
- You are not alone.
- Doubling my email newsletter click thru rate with more intentional content.
- What is the Social Church Online Intensive?
- The “WHY” for social media in the church.
- The starting point for churches in social media, especially for the person in a church “combo” role.
- Questions that you have to answer before anything else:
- Who’s going to own this channel?
- What is the purpose for this channel, what do we want to accomplish?
- What is our finish line?
- How often are we going to update this content? Plan for consistency.
- How are you going to measure if you’re being effective?
- Go from communicating details to sharing stories.
- What’s driving Justin nuts about Facebook? Charging people to reach their fans.
- Should churches reconsider using Facebook if they’re not going to spend money?
- Head to the main Church Marketing Podcast page to access the bonus audio.