Former pastor and church insider Shaun King recently shared a list of 10 honest thoughts as a church outsider. We shared it on Twitter, but it’s too good to let it disappear into the fog of social media. Here are the high points:
- Church nurseries smell. Empty the diaper pail and get some air freshener.
- Adults who love a church will leave if their kids don’t like it. Children’s ministry matters.
- Make the announcements short and sweet.
- “The sermons are rarely memorable.” Make that sermon tweetable.
- Church shouldn’t feel like a time warp.
- Churches have no idea how to use people’s skills. Find a meaningful way to put people to work where they work best.
- “I’ve gotten lost in every church I’ve ever attended.” Get some interior signage to point the way.
Read Shaun’s original blog post for more details and the rest of the list.