Some of the best lessons have to do with evangelism:
- The large majority of people do not go to church.
- Men don’t go to church.
- People are craving community and they will find it somewhere.
- A lot of people work on Sunday mornings.
When you spend all your time in the church you have to constantly remind yourself that some people do something entirely different on Sunday morning. I remember realizing this in 8th grade when all my friends at school talked about watching Ren & Stimpy on Sunday mornings while I was at church like a good little Baptist.
It’s also a good reminder that Sunday morning doesn’t work for everybody. Some people work, some people stay out too late on Saturday night, some people just aren’t morning people. Alternate service times are a must if you want to reach unchurched people.
- Learn more about how to welcome church visitors with this massive collection of resources and blog posts.
- Walking into a church for the first time can be scary. Check out Unwelcome: 50 Ways Churches Drive Away First-Time Visitors by Jonathan Malm for practical ideas and perspective on first-time guests.